Monday, April 7, 2008

We've discovered our friends are nudists

There is a very good article in the 'Globe and Mail" in Canada about nudism and your friends. This article describes how a couple suspected that friends of theirs had become nudists and they had not been told. Its interesting to read a story like this from the point of view of the non-nudist. We personally haven't told all our friends we are nudists (but we have told many). We are concerned that some people we associate with would be so offended, that we would no longer enjoy their company. But its hard to know who.

Some folks associate nudism with many other things, such as swinging. That's like associating Christianity with bombing, it just isn't so. But those misplaced associations can be troubling.

1 comment:

poetken said...

I became interested in nudists as a group, while delivering doorknob flyers for a friends business. As I approached the front porch of a house and looked for no soliciting signs, I found a lovely aportioned sign stating that the occupants were nudists and if that might offend you to please not look in the windows or ring the doorbell. I found myself immediatly in a sort of calm/joyful mental state of being. While I did not meet anyone there, it left me considering my own nudist leanings and what friends would think should they actually know this. After all it isn't really a big deal, right? I found the blog and the accompaning article helpful in reminding me that behavior which is not practiced by the mojority, is often simply mis-understood; and upon considering the facts, people often then drop their mis-conceptions, and in some cases like the folks in the article, might even like to join in. While I make no formal declaration as "I am a nudist", like one would register as a democrat for example, I would hope that friends would still be friends. After all, are not friends for at least the sharing of your happinesses as well as your griefs?

Ken Roome
Morrison, CO.